How the world is evolving - shifts in language usage - 3 reason why we hate change!
This FANTASTIC infographic (published in Mind Unleashed) on language use gives us an interesting insight into how the world is evolving.
Things never stand still though. However, we often think we would like it to because:
- It feels comfortable when we know where we are, why we are doing it and how to do it
- Change is often associated with negative impact - usually because it's been badly handled
- It feeds our insecurity and fears - in new situations we can easily feel unsure and over worry
Where I think the fault is in many organisations is how change is MANAGED:
- It's top down driven
- Has little involvement from the bottom up
- Rushed and ill thought through
It's not the type of change involved but how it's done. I see this over and over again when I go into organisations and run change masterclasses.
It's frightening how badly it's done and then we wonder why engagement scores suffer but we blame the change itself.
So how we equip our people to handle change better:
GET THEM INVOLVED AT AN EARLY STAGE
DRIVE IT FROM THE BOTTOM UP
MAKE IT PART OF A POSITIVE CULTURAL BEHAVIOUR
We won't keep talent if we don't.
Have a good week.
JOHN | MD THINKING HR